Back to one of my favorite kind of posts: the 10 favorite quotes from *insert book*. It’s been a while since I did one of these, the last one was my favorite quotes from The Forbidden Wish, but I’m back now with another one and this time it’s my favorite quotes from one of the most magical and amazing books I have ever read: The Night Circus. I strongly encourage you to pick this book up if you haven’t already. It is such a magical book to read, I can’t even express with words how much I love this book. So I’m gonna let these quotes do it for me.
1. “The circus arrives without warning. No announcements precede it. It is simply there, when yesterday it was not.”
2. “I would have written you, myself, if I could put down in words everything I want to say to you. A sea of ink would not be enough.”
“But you built me dreams instead.”
3. “You think, as you walk away from Le Cirque des Rêves and into the creeping dawn, that you felt more awake within the confines of the circus. You are no longer quite certain which side of the fence is the dream.”
4. “And there are never really endings, happy or otherwise.”
5. “I tried to explain as much as I could,” Poppet says. “I think I made an analogy about cake.”
“Well, that must have worked,” Widget says. “Who doesn’t like a good cake analogy?”
6. “He reads histories and mythologies and fairy tales, wondering why it seems that only girls are ever swept away from their mundane lives on farms by knights or princes or wolves. It strikes him as unfair to not have the same fanciful opportunity himself. And he is not in the position to do any rescuing of his own.”
7. “Is magic not enough to live for?” Widget asks.
“Magic,” the man in the grey suit repeats, turning the word into a laugh. “This is not magic. This is the way the world is, only very few people take the time to stop and note it.”
8. Something about the circus stirs their souls, and they ache for it when it is absent. They seek each other out, these people of such specific like mind. They tell of how they found the circus, how those first few steps were like magic. Like stepping into a fairy tale under a curtain of stars…”
9. “He forgets that he was someone’s dream once, himself.”
10. “I don’t think there’s anything wrong with being a dreamer. There is not. But dreams have ways of turning into nightmares.”